When one person in a household is affected by substance abuse or addiction, everyone else in the home is too. This disorder is the main reason that family therapy remains such a useful tool. This therapy helps people understand and overcome these severe problems. The following information will discuss this type of therapy, its benefits, and typical family therapy activities.
Defining Substance Abuse
To understand the importance of family therapy interventions, we need to have an accurate substance abuse definition. Substance abuse often refers to the constant misuse of addictive substances in a manner that’s harmful to a person’s health. In turn, substance abuse that continues can lead to severe addiction.
What Is Family Therapy?
Family therapy involves the use of treatment interventions that target everyone in the household. Whether they center around trust-building, communication, or educational topics, family therapy activities focus on helping family members. This therapy helps families find healthier ways of interacting with each other.
Common Family Therapy Activities
Family therapy sessions focus on the specific problems, goals, and strengths of each family seeking treatment. While each household faces unique needs, some family therapy activities are known to help. These activities can include the following:
- Marital resources- A marriage can be deeply affected by substance abuse and addiction. For example, the person’s partner may have difficulties with trust, intimacy, or communication. A troubled marriage also dramatically impacts the health of the children in the household.
- Boundary activities- In many households where one member suffers from substance abuse, there may be trouble initiating and keeping essential boundaries. However, these boundaries are a healthy and vital part of maintaining family relationships. A skilled professional can help all family members have reasonable expectations and limitations.
- Trigger identifying- Identifying and dealing with triggers and cravings is an essential part of recovery from addiction. Moreover, a professional counselor can help an individual determine these triggers that lead to cravings. Family support can go a long way toward helping the individual fight these desires.
- Behavioral therapy– Various behavioral therapy techniques can help a person identify and change negative thoughts, feelings, and actions. These techniques can apply to all members of the household.
Benefits of Family Therapy
Family therapy can be a crucial aspect of recovery for many people. Often, addiction damages relationships between family members. One of the benefits of the family therapy program at Zelus Recovery gives the entire family a chance to be active participants in a loved one’s recovery.
Additional benefits of family therapy include:
- Enhanced communication skills – Often, disruptions in family relationships stem from lack of communication or ineffective communication. Our family therapy program teaches you and your family more effective ways to communicate.
- Conflict resolution – Our Zelus Recovery team will teach you and your family strategies for healthy conflict resolution. The goal here is to prevent future problems with family relationships.
- More meaningful bonds – Family therapy can also create closer relationships and more meaningful bonds between family members.
- Everyone is on the same page – The family therapy program at Zelus Recovery also ensures that everyone communicates clearly. The skills and strategies that you and your family will learn allow for open dialogues using methods that are familiar to everyone.
The Importance of Getting Professional Treatment
Substance abuse is difficult to overcome on your own. Quality substance abuse programs can provide access to creative tools that will help you achieve mastery over addiction-related issues. As a result, the entire family can experience peace and healing.
Zelus Recovery is an addiction treatment center located in Meridian, Idaho. This facility specializes in unique treatment programs designed to meet the needs of young adults and adolescents. Zelus Recovery can successfully meet your needs by providing quality family programs, early intervention, and an outpatient treatment center.